Instagram

Instagram: SuhJester

Saturday, September 15, 2012

The F Word




September 15, 2012

In my life there is a lot of the phrase, “the plan was…”.  I’m a director! I have a vision! Things aren’t supposed exist outside of that!  I’m supposed to see the way I want it and find a way to get it.  However, the constraints of reality always get in the way.  Whether it is timing, logistics, or just the damn laws of physics; I routinely find myself recalculating the plan.  Don’t get me wrong, that isn’t a bad thing.  I find adjusting the plan for reality makes things go a lot smoother. 
For instance, I was planning on going to Yosemite National Park this weekend, but a greater design was in the works.  Now, I’ve been hearing a lot about this Hantavirus situation, mostly as warnings from my mother.  I did some research, and it is a little concerning.  The Yosemite website is a little uncommitted to either side here.  It seems that certain lodges are closed due to infestation… mice, not human.  Although I suppose it was the infestation of humans that caused the mice in the first place.  And once mice poop goes airborne, no one is safe.  Scary enough?  Apparently the Hantavirus can lead to Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, which I assume means ‘you have the hantavirus’. That leads to the F word… well, it can kill you.  There have been more and more reports of deaths related to the illness as time goes on.  The latest count to date is 9.  That seems like a lot, but diabetes kills about 180,000 people a year.  No one seems to be freaking about diabetic comas as far as I hear.  So, I’m writing down the virus hotline number and lacing up my hiking shoes. 
You weren’t thinking the virus was the twist of fate that changed the plan did you?  Of course not!  I was supposed to caravan up there with a group of friends from LA and spend the weekend.  Due to logistics of a failed to mention Charger game (thanks Tim), I am going up to San Francisco on Sunday night and will spend about a month there.  Hopefully, if all goes to plan, we’ll all meet up after I leave SF, and hopefully no one ends up with a fatal disease. 
This whole time has been so charged.  I cant tell if I’m excited for San Francisco or ready to leave LA.  I know both emotions are real, but a focusing in on that feeling only brings the falsity of human emotions to light.  It makes me realize how not in control we all actually are.  I can’t help but breakdown where these emotions come from until I come to the conclusion that I could be anybody.  Most people would have either apprehension or anticipation when they’re about to leave their home for almost 10 years.  As to which one is ruling my mind, it seems to be a battle between the two.  I know that I am ready to live in SF for a month or so, but I’m still not sure what to expect.  I’ve been up there a good many times and am pretty comfortable in the city.  I’m staying with a good friend’s family and will have plenty of time to explore the it further.  San Francisco, being a hipster hotbed and all around cool city, has attracted many people from many places.  One of which is my good friend Nate, whom I grew up with in Jr High and High School.  It has been a long stretch, and may have only seen him about 3 times in the past 7 years.  We’ll see what time has done. 
I have been flying by the seat of my pants, thus far.  In SF, the plan was to start planning.  I know certain things now, such as specific cities and somewhat of the route.  But I’m not really sure.  I haven’t hammered down the timing or done any research in each destination yet, but I keep getting suhjestions from people along the way; it’s amazing how many people from Los Angeles aren’t actually from Los Angeles.  If the travels are anything like these last weeks in LA, it will be perfect.  All that has been happening is the quintessential Los Angeles experience.   It's been filled with extravagant Venice Beach parties, exclusive Hollywood clubs, and posh events like celebrity poker tournaments for charity.  It gives me hopes for the quintessential Vancouver or Salt Lake City, although I have no idea what to expect.  Well one more night, it seems.  Any Ideas?
(by the way check out: http://lupusla.org/ )

I also found this unrelated site:
http://ucantcheatdeath.tripod.com/id3.html 


1 comment:

  1. Yes, of course I'm worried about the hantavirus. I'm a mother. Enjoy every day of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete