Instagram

Instagram: SuhJester

Friday, November 23, 2012

Brown Friday


November 23, 2012

OK… so it’s been a bit.  I’ve gotten lazy and complacent in my “Boulderado” experience.  I’ve been spending a lot of time with Emily’s cats.  Seriously, they are the most beautiful cats ever.  Remember that bit in the Disney movie “The Sword in the Stone” where Merlin transforms himself and young Arthur into squirrels.  They run up and down trees, and out of nowhere a female squirrel becomes fascinated with Arthur and they share a love chase.  They even made the female squirrel super feminine to drive the point home.  It was really weird.  I mean, he’s a human who is having a romp with a squirrel.  Sure, he’s in squirrel form, but he should know better.  Well, as messed up as that is, I can’t help but think that every time I see Isobel.  That said, she is not nearly as flirtatious as that slutty squirrel in the Disney movie.  She’s a bit skittish due to a meth-head break-in that happened a few years ago. 
This is Isobel
Isobel and Yoshimi

But the cats love me.  I mean, they’re not snuggling up or sitting on my lap, or even approaching me, but I can tell the love is there.  They surely do love Emily, though.  When they’re not sleeping all day, they are begging for hugs and nursing on Emily’s neck.  It’s an awkward sight, but it’s just another day in the life. 
Tripple Threat

Last night we had Thanksgiving with Emily’s neighbor, Virginia.  It was a fun time with good food.  I really love Thanksgiving, partly because I’m the skinniest glutton you’ll ever see and love an excuse to eat food all day.  We always did a big double family occasion back in the SC.  I gave a call and sure enough, it was a big one this year.  As long as the world doesn’t end this year, I’m sure I’ll catch the next one.  It’s been really nice staying in Colorado for this long.  It’s kind of interesting spending Thanksgiving here.  There was a huge Native American presence here before the first Thanksgiving.  You can feel it in the air, but there are also a lot of physical evidence left.  There is a spriritual purity in the air and over and over I can see that this is a great spot to set up.  The sun shines more days a year than any other city in America.  It can get cold, but it remains clear.  In the wintertime, the Arapahoe tribes would hug up against the Flat Irons (a range at the foot of the Rockies) and any storm would just pass over them as the mountain range was a perfect shield.  Then when Thanksgiving did start to become popular, the natives could stand at the range and see all the way through the plains at the wagons of westward expansion.  It was an advanced warning, but in the end it was not enough. 
I find it funny that we just came off a huge election where the fear immigration was a big factor.  Then we celebrate a holiday that remembers the European immigration to this country that subsequently decimates the native population.  Sure, there is now a street in Boulder named, Arapahoe, in homage to the native tribe to this area.  And I’m sure that they get a small percentage of all the shops and stores that line that street, right?
Native Majesty

No comments:

Post a Comment